Friday, January 8, 2010

Cauliflower Gratin

My calendar this year is "French Women for all seasons" based on the books by Mireille Guiliano (French Women Don't Get Fat). It has fun notes and also some yummy looking recipes. This is one--have not tested it yet, but I am sure it will be lovely!

1 medium sized head of cauliflower
2 cups of milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup of grated cheese (Gruyere, Swiss, Jarlsberg, Comte, Parmesan, Pecorino or mix of two)
1 tablespoon of butter
salt and pepper

Trim the cauliflower, separate the florets, and cook in a pan with milk and 1/2 tsp of salt until tender. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup of milk. Arrange the cooked florets in a lightly buttered baking dish. Beat together an egg and reserved milk. Add chese and spread over the florets. Add salt and pepper on top and dot with butter. Broil (I'll bake) the gratin until browned and bubbly.

Review:
Not a hit in my house. There were even some tears when I made Rachel eat a few bites of it. Natalie ate it best of all but I think that is because she helped make it. I enjoyed it, in small bits, but probably won't make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment